Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Colorful Story

The house was blue. Behind it, a view of the ocean. Above, a cloudless sky. The shutters and door were a dark indigo. The entryway was calming, the cool colors contrasting the brightness outside. Georgia sat inside, eating a blueberry muffin. She looked at her watch with forget-me-not eyes. Her face was downcast as she waited, shifting in her jeans.

The brown dog entered the yard. His muddy paws wreaked havoc on Georgia's flowers. She ran outside, nearly tripping over the exposed root of an old maple tree. She tried to chase him back onto the dirt road, but he was stubborn. He ran into the house, tracking soil from the ruined flowers into the entryway. Georgia followed. Once inside, she  poured a cup of coffee before continuing the pursuit.

The red convertible carried Mark down the road. He reached Georgia's house and exited, grabbing the roses from the passenger's seat. Heart pounding, he was about to knock when he saw the door was cracked. He entered and saw Georgia chasing the dog, her face flushed. Quickly, he dropped the flowers and began chasing the animal. The dog scraped Mark's leg when Mark grabbed him. After they caught the dog, they discovered his name was Cayenne. Before returning Cayenne to his owner, Georgia gave Mark an Elmo bandaid for his bleeding leg.

"I heard about the university laying you off." Mark said as he drove Georgia into town to return the dog. They passed grassy pastures and dark green forests on the country road.
Georgia worried a leaf from the stem of one of the flowers.
"Yeah, I guess you can only have so many biology teachers. Last in, first out. I was waiting for my last paycheck to come in the mail before that dog came."
"I came to say that sucks, and that I have an uncle in Oregon. His university has an opening, I think you should apply. It's not too far from here. I could put in a word for you."
"That's nice, thankyou."
When they got to the house where Cayenne lived, she saw a four-leaved clover in the grass.




2 comments:

  1. I really like the way you vary your sentence structure when you write. I enjoy your use of shorter sentences and fragments for emphasis. I also like the way you left the story open at the end but marked it with a symbol of hope. Thanks, Kaitlyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, great name for the dog! Cayenne. Makes me think of the paint chip colors, too...

    ReplyDelete