Friday, January 8, 2016

I am... Kaitlyn

I am… Kaitlyn Elmer
I am
Converse, jeans, and flannels

Corduroys, boots, and comfy sweaters

Green shorts, white summer blouses, and leather sandals

I am
Warm white dinner rolls, my Mother’s apple pie, culver’s french fries, and Springfield cashew chicken

chips and salsa, chocolate milk, and apple juice

I am
Equations, theorems, derivatives and integrals- Instantaneous velocity and area under a curve- pythagorean spirals and unit circles- horizontal and vertical asymptotes.

Full bookshelves and a nightstand covered with a stack of books.

The English countryside, the Scottish highlands. I would love to visit the United Kingdom. The setting of the tales of Jane Austen, C.S. Lewis, and Frances Hodgson Burnett.

Summer days spent reading on the porch. On my bed when it gets too hot.

I am
Lonely after the death of my dog- a medium sized mutt with long hair, odd coloring, and the face of Lassie.

The harasser of Rico, the irritable and soft tabby.

I am
A daughter, the youngest of three, and raised in Springfield, MO.

My father’s eyesight and my mother’s eyes.

A sister of two college students. I will soon be joining my sister and brother.

The standard little sister. Growing up I wanted to be what my sister wanted to be. I started piano because she did. My brother convinced me to play the trumpet in band.

My grandfather’s cattle farm. The drive through Branson and then through the Northwest Arkansas hills to visit; the arrival after a gravel road and the smell of chicken houses. The basement with my grandmother’s sewing machine and piles of fabric.

A horse quilt from my grandmother, and a floral quilt from my mother

My aunt and uncle’s house, where we spend almost every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.

Nerts, dominoes, conversation, and plenty of food with extended family. A late lunch and dessert for dinner.

A member of a family- a conglomeration of European roots. Exact countries unknown.

I am
Excited for the future- the events that will continue to determine who I am.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kaitlyn! So many lovely, specific details here. I especially like the lines about your family, the quilts, the late lunch/dessert for dinner, the dirt road to the farm, dominoes, your grandmother's sewing machine and fabric piles. I hope you get to visit the UK. I am planning to take a group of students to Scotland, Ireland, England, and Paris for 12 days in summer 2017 if you're interested. I've been to London, Canterbury, and Bath but would love to see more of this beautiful part of the world. Thanks for sharing a bit of who you are...

    ReplyDelete